Friday, October 23, 2009

Memory? What Memory?

While I was writing my last post I had a thought, and I wanted to write it down, but I got distracted. Over the last few days, I've remembered what it was, and forgotten again before I could write it down... I still have no idea what it was...

Ummm... Yeah, no clue...

So to get on with this posting business, I'm going to talk about books. Vampire books.

My friend e-mailed me a new series Vampire Academy last Friday or so. I'm now about 20 pages from the end of book 4. I'm enjoying them immensely :) (Finished book 4 now. It ended with a cliffhanger... now I have to wait for book 5 to be written and published...grrr...)

Ever since I started reading vampire novels, I fell in love with them, and I have a theory as to why that is:

Vampires are virtually indestructible, they heal extraordinarily fast, and they're immortal. They also have superhuman strength and stamina.

It's so easy for me to get lost in these books, and live a life full of energy, exploits, and health, even though it's just in my head. I enjoy the escape they give me from my life, which is completely the opposite: I injure myself doing the most mundane tasks, I take months or years to heal what normal people heal in a few weeks, I get so fatigued, and weak feeling that I can't do simple tings like laundry or dishes. Sometimes I can't even hold a book to read.

So in short, yes, I am a vampire addict, but in a different way than a lot of people. It's not just the mystery, sex or intrigue, it's the feeling of freedom, a feeling I don't have in my real life... So I read.

Update: I clicked "post" and I remembered... I have a freaking nickel allergy, and it's driving me insane... I want to peel off all my skin just so it would stop itching... Stupid pants...

5 comments:

elise said...

Hi BG,
I totally have memory issues too. It's soooo annoying. I've realized, though, that if I can link something visual to the memory, I can remember it. For example, what room was I in when I talked to so and so about blah blah. That will help me remember the person or the topic, depending on which memory I've lost. Just something that works for me.

I have a nickel allergy too. I can't wear cheap jewelry - sucks for me. ;) ha ha! Actually, my doc thinks that a trigger for my eczema can be nickel, especially around and behind my ear where I might have earrings or a cell phone ear piece, which can both be made with nickel.

I read and watch a lot of SciFi/Fantasy to escape life. I've always loved this genre. I get the vampire deal, though I don't particularly like them all that much (I've read a few Anne Rice novels in my time). I do like superhuman powers such as telekinesis, flying, etc (think X-men, Narnia, Harry Potter, or the Heroes TV show). In real life, I marvel at really good dancers.

I'm waiting for the last book of the Eragon series (love dragons!) to come out in paperback. Waiting is a bitch.

Have you considered getting an e-book? My husband has one of those Kindle's and is reading constantly now. Other companies are coming out with similar versions. I'd like to look into the one Barnes and Noble is selling in November. Books are pretty cheap to download and the e-book itself is quite light (much lighter than most books). Just a thought.

You and my daughter are really inspiring me to learn how to crochet! She's making slipper socks for everyone this Xmas. I love that she gets excited about this craft and that it is a good way for her to blow off stress (she's in college). When I sign off work, I'm going to go to the craft store (dangerous!) and see what they have for a baby crocheter. I like knitting but it takes so long for results!

sending you big hugs, pretty lady!
~elise

Veronica said...

Yep, memory issues here too. Also, a complete inability to come up with the right words when I'm speaking. It frustrates the HELL out of me.

BubbleGirl said...

Hi you!
I do have an e-book and I love it! It's still hard sometimes to read for too long. I wrote about it on this post:

http://b-u-b-b-l-e-girl.blogspot.com/2009/06/hubby-birthday.html

I think I've read upwards of 30 books on it since I got it. It is a lot easier on the hands, and you can adjust the text size, so it's great for when you have a headache. The only problems I've had are when I download .lit files. My BeBook doesn't seem to like them very much.

BubbleGirl said...

Oh, and Veronica, I occasionally make up my own words when speaking, because the words I want just don't come out. Like one time I was talking to my cousin, and I asked him to pass me "that un-come-off-able writey thing" and he immediately got me the permanent marker. I was proud. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Thanks for your posts.

I have EDS & I'm getting worst and worst in terms of my memory. I can't remember things people told me and my friends are gEtting very annoyed.

Anybody knows if there is a real relation between EDS and memory lack?

Thanks!!!

V.